Modern Laboratory Furniture Design and Options
Laboratory furniture is a relatively special kind of furniture. Laboratory furniture should not only have excellent functions but also have a clean and bright appearance and color to improve the indoor environment and reflect the characteristics of the times. The design, flexibility and serialization of laboratory furniture is one of the components of a laboratory building and one of the basic conditions of the laboratory.
1.Laboratory Bench Classified by Material
In order to meet the needs of laboratories with various experimental contents, laboratory furniture should meet the functionality, robustness, corrosion resistance, and flexibility of installation and layout while pursuing a comfortable and safe experimental environment. Laboratory furniture is different from household furniture. Its use is often in contact with water, electricity, gas, chemical substances and materials, as well as instruments and equipment. Therefore, higher requirements are placed on the structure and material of the furniture, and experiments must be paid attention to during laboratory construction. Room furniture design and selection. There is a lot of laboratory furniture, but to sum up, it is mainly a few categories such as laboratory benches, laboratory cabinets and fume hoods!
- Wood lab bench: This is a commonly used in last 20 years. It is lighter and more flexible, and can be made into various unit combinations. The disadvantage is that the wood consumption is large.
- Steel lab bench: This structure is composed of steel cabinets, countertops, and reagent racks. The steel cabinet is made of steel with epoxy coating, the feet of the foot bracket is equipped with fine adjustment screws, and there is a pipe space between the steel brackets. The utensil cabinet is a wooden component that can be flexibly hung on a steel bracket. Although this material has anti-corrosion coating on its appearance, it is unavoidable to be rusted, and it is generally used in instrument analysis rooms. The advantages of steel laboratory furniture: sturdy, beautiful, can be used for more than 10 years without deformation, can withstand strong acids and alkalis, which is the development direction of laboratory furniture.
- Reinforced concrete lab bench: This kind of laboratory bench includes the countertop and support (or brick support) of the reinforced concrete structure and the utensil cabinet under the counter. Its disadvantages are high quality and lack of flexibility.
- C frame-mounted lab bench: using a steel frame, reinforced concrete countertops or new countertop materials and wooden utensil cabinets with movable lower parts, this may also be made into a unit combination type, which is lighter and better than the previous one in terms of flexibility.
3. Laboratory Bench Classified by Laboratory purpose
There are a wide variety of chemical Laboratory Benches, instrument Laboratory Benches, sky platforms, washing benches, etc. Depending on the layout of the laboratory, the experimental platform is located in the middle of the laboratory and is called an island-style experimental platform; one end of the experimental platform is against the wall is called a peninsula experimental platform; if one long side of the experimental platform is against the wall, it is called a side experimental platform. The corresponding reagent racks, washing stations, and utensil cabinets are also different. Some also divide the experimental platform into a single-sided experimental platform and double-sided experimental platform, the latter actually refers to an island-style experimental platform and peninsula-style experimental platform.
Currently, the most commonly used countertop materials are as follows:
Epoxy resin countertop: It is mainly composed of reinforced epoxy resin, with smooth and safe arc-shaped edges. It is a chemical countertop formed by a mold. The internal and external materials are the same, which can be repaired and restored when damaged. It has excellent acid and alkali resistance, impact resistance, and high-temperature resistance (about 800°C). Corrosion-resistant hardened board: It is made of high-quality multi-jammed paper after the screening, soaked in a special phenol liquid, and shaped by high-pressure thermosetting effect, and has a special corrosion-resistant surface treatment. It has the characteristics of acid and alkali resistance, impact resistance and heat resistance, economical and durable.
TRESPA: 70% wood fiber, 30% melamine resin, double electron beam scanning patent technology to attach melamine to the surface layer, and high temperature and high-pressure molding. The corrosion-resistant physical and chemical veneer is made of kraft paper impregnated with special phenolic resin, white and special surface paper after high temperature and high-pressure treatment. It has the characteristics of acid and alkali resistance, impact resistance and heat resistance. Economical and durable (used with base material).
Laboratory storage cabinet
- Medicine cabinet
The medicine cabinet is an indispensable cabinet in a chemical laboratory. The solid chemical reagents and standard solutions are mainly placed. The two must be placed separately and cannot be mixed together. Chemical reagents should be placed in categories for easy search. At the same time, for safety, the medicine cabinet should be equipped with glass doors and windows, and the cabinet body should also have a certain load-bearing capacity and corrosion resistance.
- Special purpose cabinet
(1) Sample cabinet: The sample cabinet used to place various experimental samples should have partitions with compartments and labels that can be used to store samples and find samples, because some samples are required according to the physical properties and chemical stability of the samples. Store in a desiccator, so the compartments are large and small to facilitate the storage of different samples.
(2) Drug storage cabinet: used to store liquid reagents, such as hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, perchloric acid, organic reagents and other volatile drugs. It is generally made of wood or steel, which can store reagents of different specifications. The cabinets are required to be stable and can be used side by side or fixed to the ground wall.
(3) Dangerous goods storage cabinet: suitable for simple storage and short-term storage of dangerous goods, made of stainless steel, or made of refractory bricks.
(4) Glassware drying and storage cabinet: The cleaned off-duty utensils are stored on the bracket, and the bracket is fixed to the cabinet with a guide rail to make the glassware easy to access. The position of each layer of the bracket can be adjusted according to the size of the utensil. The utensil rack is well ventilated and easy to clean and dry. In addition, there are tool cabinets, sundries cabinets, and lockers.
(5) Flammable storage cabinet: This cabinet is used to store flammable liquid chemicals. The cabinet should be double-wall construction to improve the fire resistance performance. It is epoxy coated in red, yellow and blue color for storage of different chemicals
3.Lab chair and lab stool
According to laboratories’ needs, the lab chair and stool can be made of PU leather surface or PU foaming surface. To facilitate experiments and save space, round stools are usually used. The height of the round stool can be adjusted if it is made of steel. The instrument laboratory can have a chair with wheels for easy operation.